Sunday, January 31, 2010

Monday's gonna be a busy day

I am just copying this from Trena's email - some of you may have already read this.

First of all, a clarification. Eli is still on the transplant list. He is just not a candidate for a live donor (i.e. adult) because of his size/age. If a baby liver came available that was a match, he would likely go to surgery.

Early today, the IV that was surgically inserted into a big vein inside his chest (Hickman) fell out. They were able to get an IV inserted into his ankle area, but he is scheduled to go into the operating room tomorrow to have that replaced. As long as he is undergoing anesthesia, they are going to do another liver biopsy to verify if the results of the first biopsy and to see if any change has occured.. Pray for safety during the procedures and that God would reveal his power (in His will) by having the biopsy show signs of living cells.

Cathy said they have had some ups and downs as far as the information they get from their specialists. Just 2 days ago, the liver specialist (gastroenterologist) told them that a liver test result had returned and was indicating to her that there may be some regeneration. However, today, the surgeon and gastroenterologist said that because his blood sugar levels are so erratic, that is an indication the liver just isn't doing it's job and he for sure needs a transplant. So, K&C are trying to avoid the emotional highs and lows and are just emotionally planning on a transplant. I know they are still praying for healing and that is what we all can do as well. He still 'looks good" and is acting like himself. Cat said that Eli's situation is quite rare and so this team of physicians hasn't really seen this aged child in this situation very often. Continue to pray for the physicians and nurses as well as the rest of the healthcare team.

Saturday, January 30, 2010

January 30th

So far, we are still in 'wait and see' mode. 'E' is stable and looking good, we will wait to see if his body is able to fight this off! Here are some pictures.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Living Donor Status

The transplant surgeons have informed us that a living donor just isn't the best fit for 'e'. They have asked us to hold off on sending donors to them for now. If you were considering being a donor - Continue to prayerfully consider this as an option. In the days to come - who knows if their opinions will change.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010


'e' has been so happy to hear about all the people praying for him.
Thank you for everything!\


We had a fun time playing with 'e' today - lots of smiles and talking.

Liver Donor

We are now looking for a liver donor (in case there is no baby liver available), the donor now has to be 100 lbs. or under. Pray for Eli.

Monday, January 25, 2010


"E" has a new hospital buddy!

No new updates - just sharing pictures.

Liver Donor

We have been talking with all of the doctors about Eli's almost certain liver transplant. They are looking for a full small baby's liver to use, which would be the best situation. However, there is a possibility that there may not be enough time to wait for the perfect liver to come. In that case we would have to find an adult donor. They are looking for "O" blood type and someone who is less than 110lbs. They think there is a good chance that the transplant would take place within a week. Keep us in your prayers.

Sunday, January 24, 2010


We were informed this morning that a liver transplant will definitely be needed based off of the preliminary liver tests. The liver looks to have suffered too much damage. The doctors are extremely pleased with how his body is handling everything (alertness, etc.) - which will help when the transplant occurs. We are praying now that a good, compatible liver (that is the correct size) becomes available - and that the procedure and recovery goes smoothly when the time comes.

We are thankful that the rest of his body is so responsive, and that the medicine will continue to keep many of his levels in check.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Saturday Update


The liver biopsy was performed yesterday (friday). We will see preliminary results today, and more detailed info throughout the week. The proceedure went well with minimal bleeding. We are hoping to get closer to some answers as we see the results.

We were also finally able to feed Eli again today with some low protein food.
I am sure he loved having something in his tummy again.

Please continue to pray for him, as we continue to test and monitor.
Thank you to everyone for all of your support through all of this.

Friday, January 22, 2010

Thank you for your prayers and support. We are at the U of M Ped ICU. His liver is failing, and they are doing lots of tests to try to find out what is causing it. He is going to have a biopsy in a few hours. He has been put on the transplant list in case he needs a transplant.

Monday, January 18, 2010

E's Baptism

I have a maker
Before my heart,
even before time began
My life was in his hands

He knows my name
He knows my every thought

He sees each tear that falls
and hears me when I call

I have a father,
he calls me his own

He'll never leave me,
no matter where I go

Friday, January 8, 2010

First Christmas

Their first Christmas!

K loved to cuddle E!

"babies!, babies!" says K

Sweet dreams!

The shirt says it all!